how to get my name off the mortgage after signing quit claim

Author Message
Icon Mini Profile kimberlyscissum

Joined: 16 May 2006

Posts: 2

0.62 Dollars($)
Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: how to get my name off the mortgage after signing quit claim

I signed a quit claim deed after my divorce. My ex-husband will not remove my name off the mortgage. We both have remarried and I can't purchase a home because i am on the mortgage with him. How can i get my name off that mortgage to make another purchase with my current husband.
Icon Mini Profile Samantha
Community Mentor
Community Mentor

Joined: 16 Sep 2005

Posts: 1609
150.93 Dollars($)
Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject:

Hi Kimberly,

Welcome to MortgageFit Forums.

You need to get the mortgage refinanced in your ex-husband's name to get your name removed from it.

Actually these things should have been taken care of at the time of divorce as the situations become more complicated after that with the passage of time.

I have seen couples in similar sort of situations and so can understand your problem. I shall advise you talk to your ex-husband and try to convince him somehow.

If things don't work out that way you may consult your divorce attorney or any other good attorney in your locality to suggest you a possible way out.

Normally the divisions of assets and the responsibilities for the debts are mentioned in the divorce papers. So, check the papers with your attorney and possibly you have to go back into court and address the issue with the judge.

Don't lose hope. Definitely a solution will come out to your problem.

Feel free to ask if you have further doubts.

God bless you.

For MortgageFit,

Know how to compare lenders with mortgage booklet


Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject:

Yeah that's a big problem if things are not sorted out at the time of divorce. Actually I went through this typical situation at the time of separation with my ex.

My attorney didn't take care to address that there was no clear mention about the division of the marital debts and only it included the division of the assets.

Later I found out the real problem when I found myself still obligated on the mortgage even though I quit claimed the house in my ex's name.

He was not willing to refinance the mortgage and I was in deep trouble failing to convince him. I consulted my friend who is also an attorney and had to take the issue to the court where things finally settled to my relief.

So, I shall advise you not to wait further and take the help of an attorney if it seems that mutual discussion is not going to bring out any result.

Best of Luck.

Need help choosing the right loan? Get free consultation from community lenders/consultant


Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: quit claim deed

Can the grantor of a quit claim deed JTWROS that was notorized and recorded 10 years ago make the grantee sign a deed giving the grantor back thier intrest in the property. Grantor says they only intended that the property to go to the grantee upon death. What are the consequences if the grantee refuses to sign? This is in Missouri.
Thank You
Icon Mini Profile Caron

Joined: 19 Jul 2005

Posts: 1516
Location: florida
279.74 Dollars($)
Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: RE:

Hi Carla,

Welcome to MortgageFit Forums.

It is very difficult reverse quit claim deed unless the grantee agrees to quit claim deed the property back to you. But if the grantee refuses to sign a quit claim deed you will have to prove the transfer of the property is invalid. You can do so by proving that you signed the deed under external pressure or the grantee made you sign by telling lies.

It is advisable that you consult a lawyer.




Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: How to get my name off a mortgage after my ex dies

10 years ago i got divorced and was told to sign a quit claim and if i didnt do it within 30 days one would be done. I moved out of state and didnt do the quit claim thinking it would be done for me. My ex husband was in a very bad car accident and with some checking i found the quit claim had not ever been done. He was in a coma and on life support. I then started checking and found he had never refinanced the home under his name only. He was remarried 5 years ago. They pulled life support and he passed. Now what do i do? Can i force his wife to refinance the house since he is no longer living and she is not on the home deed or the current morgage. I do not have a good relationship with the new wife to ask her anything. She is going to recieve his 401k and retirement can i force her to use that to pay the loan off. There was no will in this situation. Please help i dont know what to do.
Icon Mini Profile eric1
Community Expert
Community Expert

best lender badge

Joined: 04 Jan 2009

Posts: 1516

227.77 Dollars($)
Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject:

It almost sounds like this home may be yours since you are on the deed and mortgage and she isn't. This may be a gift that has fallen into your lap. Contact an attorney and discuss the details. Let us know what happens.
Eric JLow Down Payment, No PMI !
Mortgage Rate Quote
Icon Mini Profile savior70

Joined: 25 Mar 2009

Posts: 1895
Location: Florida
261.85 Dollars($)
Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject:


I agree with Eric. Since you did not sign the quitclaim deed you still hold an interest in the property. His new wife is neither on the deed nor on the mortgage and your ex-husband did not even leave a will stating his new wife will inherit his share of the property after his death. So, I think you can claim your interest in the property. Consult an attorney to explore what options you have in this situation.


Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: REVERSE MORTAGE

Icon Mini Profile riseabove

Joined: 09 Nov 2009

Posts: 277

11.01 Dollars($)
Post Posted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject:

You need to immediately consult a probate lawyer. this should be your first action.
Instant mortgage quotes available online
Low rate mortgage refinance
Latest Florida mortgage rates


Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: quit deed options

I am currently going through a divorce, my husband and I have a greed that he would keep the house and I would quit deed it to him. But my question is that after this is done, can my name be taken off the loan and can I be able to purchase another home after the divorce in my name only without any problems?
Icon Mini Profile jenkin7

Joined: 04 Jun 2007

Posts: 4537
Location: Hawaii
728.42 Dollars($)
Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject:

Hi Adriana,

You can take your name off the loan only if your husband refinances the mortgage in his name. You can transfer the house to your husband through a quit claim deed, but this will not remove your name from the mortgage. You will remain responsible for the loan until your husband refinances it. Once your name is taken off the loan, you can purchase a new home in your name. Otherwise, you will remain liable for the existing mortgage and it could affect your debt to income ratio when you apply for a new loan.


Post Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject:

My husband and I divorced 5 years ago. We had 2 homes when we divorced. He kept one and I kept the other one. Now we both have remarried. I want to put my home in my new husband and my name and take my ex husband's name off. I don't know if the bank will let us refinance. Do you think we will have to get a new loan? I am on disability, and am afraid that I won't be able to qualify for a new loan, although I have great credit and my husband has good credit. My name was never on the other home, as it was an inheritance, so no problem there. I have equity in my home, so will we be able to get some cash out to pay off some credit cards?
Icon Mini Profile Niicss

Joined: 03 Oct 2005

Posts: 5499
Location: New Jersey
601.94 Dollars($)
Post Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:34 am    Post subject:

You can add your present husband's name to the property deed by signing a quit claim deed. You've mentioned that he has a good credit. Along with this good credit, if he has a stable income, he will be able to refinance the loan in his name. This will help you to get a cash out which you can use to pay off the credit card debts.
Icon Mini Profile rita2

Joined: 23 Apr 2010

Posts: 286

51.03 Dollars($)
Post Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject:


If you want to remove your ex-husband's name from your home deed and add your new husband, you can make a quitclaim deed which will help you. You also asked about refinance loan which you can easily get. The main criteria to get a loan is a good credit score which you and your husband have and also a stable job. Search for a good lender and if you are ok with the terms and conditions of the lender you can opt for it.
Ask question
Your Name
Image Verification

Can't read the image? click here to refresh
Message Body
All times are GMT - 7 Hours
1, 2  Next  
Page 1 of 2

Delete this topic Move this topic Lock this topic Split this topic 

Page loaded in 0.835 seconds.