how can i take ownership of a house after the owner has died

Author Message
Icon Mini Profile ralliford

Joined: 09 Jul 2009

Posts: 1

1.35 Dollars($)
Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: how can i take ownership of a house after the owner has died

My husbands grand father owned a house in georgtown sc. He died in 2005. The title and deed are still in his name. there is no mortgage co involved, the house was owned out right. we are now living in the house and would like to be the titled owners of the house. is this possible being theat there was no will? how can we become the legal owners of this house
Icon Mini Profile smithsussane

Joined: 18 Sep 2008

Posts: 12591
Location: Alaska
1308.69 Dollars($)
Post Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Hi ralliford!

Welcome to forums!

Your husband will have to file an affidavit of heirship at the county recorder's office and also submit his grandfather's death certificate. This will help him in transferring the property in his name.

Feel free to ask if you've further queries.

Icon Mini Profile robertsmith2005

Joined: 22 May 2009

Posts: 338

-0.48 Dollars($)
Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject:

yes collect deat certificate of his death & submit it along with affidavit of heirship at the county recorder's office.

Is it owned by him only? also i hope your husband's father is the only child
Looking for advice


Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: House Question

How can I legally obtain the deed to a house that must have been part of some kind of scam The house has 2 addresses The address on all the paperwork is a fake address does not exist. But the physical street address that is posted is the correct one Also the house has been sitting for years now empty ..
Icon Mini Profile adonis

Joined: 22 Oct 2005

Posts: 12177
Location: ALASKA
1313.62 Dollars($)
Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject:

Hi Guest,

You will have to contact the owners of the property in order to get the deed to the property. Apart from this, a real estate attorney may also be able to help you to some extent. But again, if the property was a part of some kind of scam, then it will be better if you could avoid the property.

Procrastination is the enemy of your financial success
All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1


Page loaded in 0.486 seconds.