How do you add someone to a title/deed in Texas?

Author Message
Icon Mini Profile bjharwell

Joined: 17 Jul 2009

Posts: 1

1.45 Dollars($)
Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: How do you add someone to a title/deed in Texas?

My mother-in-law and father-in-law own property in Texas, which has been paid off for a long while. My father-in-law is in a nursing home with advanced Parkinson's disease. My mother-in-law has my father-in-law's Power Of Attorney, and my wife has my mother-in-law's Power Of Attorney. My mother-in-law desires to add my wife's name to the deed/title to their property. What is the best approach to accomplish this? Thank you.
Icon Mini Profile jenkin7

Joined: 04 Jun 2007

Posts: 4537
Location: Hawaii
728.42 Dollars($)
Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject:

I believe this could be accomplished through a quit claim deed. Your mother-in-law can add your wife's name to the title by signing a quitclaim deed. She needs to sign the deed as a grantor, while both she and your wife will be the grantees. Once the deed has been signed, it needs to be notarized and recorded.
Icon Mini Profile robertsmith2005

Joined: 22 May 2009

Posts: 338

-0.48 Dollars($)
Post Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject:

since your mother in law has Power Of Attorney of your father in law, she can sign qutuit claim deed & add your wife's name.


Post Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply: Father-in-law in nursing home

Thank you for the response. I was leaning toward a Quit Claim deed, but was unsure of the effect, because it requires the grantor to give up rights on the property. I assume then, that the ownership is immediately renewed when establishing the new grantees.

However, how is this accomplished with my father-in-law being totally disabled by Parkinson's disease, and been deemed incompetent by the VA to handle his own affairs, like signing a deed? Can my mother-in-law sign for him in his stead, because of her possessing his Power Of Attorney?
Icon Mini Profile smithsussane

Joined: 18 Sep 2008

Posts: 12591
Location: Alaska
1308.69 Dollars($)
Post Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Hi shutterbill!

Welcome to forums!

As your mother-in-law has your father-in-laws power of attorney, she can go ahead and sign the deed in order to add your wife to the property deed.

Feel free to ask if you've further queries.



Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: deed

how does my mother add myself and my brother to a deed on our family business property
Icon Mini Profile adonis

Joined: 22 Oct 2005

Posts: 12177
Location: ALASKA
1313.62 Dollars($)
Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject:

Your mother can use a quitclaim deed to add you and your brother to the family property. It would be better if she could contact an attorney and draft the deed for transferring the property.
Procrastination is the enemy of your financial success
michelle n


Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: change name in the mortgage tittle

We want to buy for my dad small house and at first my husband will have his name on the tittle. After he pay off his loan for the house, we want only my dad name is on the tittle. Did we need to pay any fee (some one told me that I have to pay taxes fee which may exceed 1% on the price of the house)
Icon Mini Profile Niicss

Joined: 03 Oct 2005

Posts: 5499
Location: New Jersey
601.94 Dollars($)
Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject:

It is true that when you transfer the property to your father, you will have to pay transfer taxes and deed recording fees.
All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1


Page loaded in 0.519 seconds.