IS it illegal if my Ex husband refinanced our home without m

Author Message
Icon Mini Profile firebirdchick19

Joined: 02 Jan 2008

Posts: 1

1.40 Dollars($)
Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: IS it illegal if my Ex husband refinanced our home without m

The home was to be sold in a timely manner accourding to our divorce papers. And both to split the profit from it. Well My Ex Husband did not do this but refinaced our house without my approval or signature. I dont even know how he got someone to refinance it anyway. IS it illegal in the state of Wyoming for him to do this? What can I do?
Icon Mini Profile banker0679

Community Expert
Community Expert

best lender badge

Joined: 15 Nov 2007

Posts: 452
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
19.27 Dollars($)
Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject:

Wyoming is an equitable distribution state, meaning that when granting a divorce, the court will try to distribute the property in a just and equitable manner.

If your name was on the title then the lender will require your signature to be taken off. If your name wasn't on either (title/note) then you need to speak to your divorce attorney. You paid the divorce attorney to give you this legal consultation...might as well use it!

there's always hope!

"My credit score shot up 68 points!"
Icon Mini Profile livinginnky

Joined: 08 Sep 2007

Posts: 631

29.96 Dollars($)
Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject:

banker's advice is good. Call your divorce attorney. I doubt he had the right to refinance but I am not aware of WY laws specifically.
Eric Matthews

Mortgage Refinance and Home Loan Guide
Icon Mini Profile larry

Joined: 27 Jun 2007

Posts: 3322

474.68 Dollars($)
Post Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Hi firebirdchick19,

Welcome to the forum,

You can request your Ex Husband to buy you out. That means he will pay for your share of interest in the property and you will quitclaim the property to him.

If he doesn't agree with that you can even file a partition lawsuit against your Ex Husband. In partition lawsuit a co-owner requests the court to sell the property and divide the proceeds among the co-owners. You can consult with an attorney regarding this.

Feel free to ask if you have any further questions.

Best of luck,
Icon Mini Profile lisascherzer

best lender badge

Joined: 04 Jan 2008

Posts: 755

1.12 Dollars($)
Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject:

If you were on the title then yes it would be illegal. If you are not on title then he would have been able to do so legally. Now if the divorce decree says that he cannot then that is another thing and you can go back to court if he violated that decree.
Lisa Scherzer
Allpointe Mortgage
Expert Mortgage Broker
All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1


Page loaded in 0.640 seconds.