Compare Mortgage Quotes

Refinance Rates for Today

Please enable JavaScript for the best experience.

In the mean time, check out our refinance rates!

Company Loan Type APR Est. Pmt.

Compare Refinance Mortgage Quotes

Abandonment refers to the voluntary giving up of the property rights without transferring the title to any other party.

[b:200ad9f1db]For example[/b:200ad9f1db], John owns a property in New Jersey. He left the house without handling over the rights to someone else and purchased a property in San Francisco. Such a kind of surrender of the property ownership is known as 'Abandonment'.

The abandonment can occur when the person surrenders the property rights or interest on account of failure to use it for an extended period of time. Or else, the current owner may have the intention to give up the rights or interest in the property.

If the owner abandons the property while he is in debt, then creditors can recover their monetary losses from the property which no longer belongs to the estate.

Anonymous's picture
Anonymous | Joined: June 8, 2004 01:06 am | Posts: 0 | Location: New Jersey | 00 Dollars($)

my mother pass away leaving the home to my sister and I. she is not paying for any real estate taxes or house insurance or upkeep in the home.
is there way i can file that she has abandon the home and the home is given to me i have paid for the home expenses for the last three years

Like | Dislike | Share | Posted: Mon, 12/15/2008 - 13:49 | Post subject:

jerry's picture
jerry | Joined: October 17, 2005 03:24 am | Posts: 0 | Location: New Jersey | 00 Dollars($)

Hi dinardo,

If your sister is still living in the property, then you will not be able to file abandonment. If she has left the property disclaiming her rights to it, then you can file abandonment at the county recorder's office.



Like | Dislike | Share | Posted: Tue, 12/16/2008 - 01:47 | Post subject:

Page loaded in 0.156 seconds.