Compare Mortgage Quotes

Refinance Rates for Today

Please enable JavaScript for the best experience.

In the mean time, check out our refinance rates!

Company Loan Type APR Est. Pmt.

1099 A (Acquisition or Abandonment of Secured Property)

Posted on: 26th Jan, 2011 03:54 pm
My investment property foreclosed on 12/09/2009 in AZ. Now my 2nd lender sent me 1099 A (Acquisition or Abandonment of Secured Property) has following information
Box 1 Date Acquired by Lender or Abandoned 03/16/10
Box 2 Balance of principle outstanding 80,069 .00
Box 4 Fair Market Value 108,500 .00
Box 5 Borrower was personally liable for payment of Debt

Do I need to pay tax on this? How can I file my 2010 tax return?

Any Help will be appreciable.
Hi Guest,

If the fair market value and the principal owed is same and if the property has been sold off for the same amount, then you're not liable for paying anything.
Posted on: 03rd Feb, 2013 11:27 pm
I received a 1099-A for a mortgage foreclosure.
2. $67,036.53
4. $34,400.00
5. checked

I've read your responses to the questions above, but I guess I'm still confused. If the box 5 is checked, then we WON'T be liable to pay taxes on the difference? But if they are saying we are still "liable" for the debt, how does that work? Will they bill us for that, I guess I don't get it.

Confused after leaving a crime ridden neighborhood to protect kids. :/
Posted on: 06th Feb, 2013 01:39 pm
Hi Ellen!

Welcome to forums!

If your deficient balance has been forgiven by the lender, then you will receive a 1099c form from the lender along with 1099a. As you have received only a 1099a form and the box 5 is checked, I guess you're liable for paying the deficient balance to the lender.

Feel free to ask if you've further queries.

Posted on: 06th Feb, 2013 09:44 pm
2012 Box 2: 244,112.98 box 4: 272,992.00 box 5 checked off. Foreclosure due to divorce of house sold in sheriff sale. Prop value was at 190,000 and sold in the 270k range, which I assume is box 4. How will this play out as I'm trying to understand what you've stated from prior questions. Thanks
Posted on: 16th Feb, 2013 02:12 pm
Hi Johnny,

Well, if you have problems understanding the form and completing it, then it will be better if you could get in touch with a tax adviser and take his opinion in this regard.

Posted on: 17th Feb, 2013 11:04 pm
Page loaded in 0.129 seconds.