Compare Mortgage Quotes

Refinance Rates for Today

Please enable JavaScript for the best experience.

In the mean time, check out our refinance rates!

Company Loan Type APR Est. Pmt.

Can I change locks

Posted on: 02nd Sep, 2013 01:56 am
I need suggestions... My house is in probate. Also, the tenant in that property hasn't paid rent for 7 months. Can I simply change the locks?
Simply changing the locks will not be right. It may be considered illegal. You will have to follow proper eviction process as per your state laws.
Posted on: 02nd Sep, 2013 02:26 am
Hi Porry!

Welcome to the forums!

I agree with Niicss. You will have to follow the eviction laws of your state or else the tenant can take legal actions against you. You should speak to a local attorney and he will help you in this regard.

Feel free to ask if you've further queries.

Posted on: 02nd Sep, 2013 07:42 pm
You cannot simply change the locks if someone is living there. You must follow your local eviction procedures. Before you can do that, you must have standing to sue, for instance, you must be the probate trustee, being future owner is not enough. Consult with your probate attorney, and a local real estate attorney regarding the eviction.
Posted on: 03rd Sep, 2013 01:33 am
Page loaded in 0.091 seconds.