Compare Mortgage Quotes

Refinance Rates for Today

Please enable JavaScript for the best experience.

In the mean time, check out our refinance rates!

Company Loan Type APR Est. Pmt.

Compare Refinance Mortgage Quotes

I am divorced and need to get my name off real estate title and loan on property in California. What deed(s) should I do?

jerry's picture
jerry | Joined: October 17, 2005 03:24 am | Posts: 0 | Location: New Jersey | 00 Dollars($)

Hi Guest,

To get your name off the title you need to sign a quit claim deed to transfer your property interest to your ex-spouse. But to get rid of the mortgage, you need to get it refinanced in your ex-spouse's name because just by signing the deed you cannot release your mortgage liabilities.



Like | Dislike | Share | Posted: Mon, 03/16/2009 - 07:08 | Post subject:

Anonymous's picture
Anonymous | Joined: June 8, 2004 01:06 am | Posts: 0 | Location: New Jersey | 00 Dollars($)

Divorce was final 3/2009. Ex spouse received the investment property (single family home) and I received the primary residence. I have refinanced and taken the ex off the title. However, I remain on the title and mortgage of the investment property despite my request to be removed.
Am I legally and financially obligated for the investment property?
Do I remain an heir for the property if my ex spouse died?

Like | Dislike | Share | Posted: Wed, 08/26/2009 - 17:15 | Post subject:

Page loaded in 0.172 seconds.