Compare Mortgage Quotes

Refinance Rates for Today

Please enable JavaScript for the best experience.

In the mean time, check out our refinance rates!

Company Loan Type APR Est. Pmt.

Can i remove inaccurate information from My Credit Report?

Posted on: 30th Oct, 2005 12:59 am
I was just looking on my credit report, and i found one interesting thing, it has got inaccurate information. How this is possible? My question can i remove those inaccurate information.

Thanks in advance :(
Hi, Bigden

No surprises to hear. Nowadays it's a common scene that credit report having some inaccurate information.

But not to think lot about how to correct those as these things can be fixed easily. Under the FCRA, consumer reporting company and the information provider both are responsible for correcting any incomplete or inaccurate information in your report. Under this law you have a legal right to claim that.

The 1st thing you should do is tell the consumer reporting company in writing, what information you think is inaccurate. Always include duplicate copies of documents in support of your position. In your letter which you are sending should include your name and address and the list of items of dispute. Before sending it to the company, keep a copy of that letter with you for further requirement. Letter should sent by a certified mail.

In most common cases Consumer reporting companies takes 30 days to investigate unless they consider your dispute frivolous.

You can also contact your creditors first and allow for some time to find if they get your information corrected. You may also check the disputes online by following certain links and answering multiple choice questions to put down the reasons behind such disputes.

These things can help you in settling disputes about your credit report.

Posted on: 30th Oct, 2005 01:31 am
Thanks Niicss for such information.

I was very curious to know the solution.

Thanks once again.
Posted on: 30th Oct, 2005 01:34 am
One more thing to add for your help.

FTC has always tried to work for consumers to prevent fraudulent and unfair business practices in the marketplace. To file a complaint with the FTC you can contact this web address - Complain FTC

You can also get more information on any consumer issues at FTC

Thanks Niicss
Posted on: 30th Oct, 2005 01:40 am
Hi bigden,

I can understand that you are going through a lot of inconvenience. But believe me, this is quite common nowadays. Most individuals keep complaining about the inaccuracy in their credit report. But there are ways to remove such errors. Do not get disturbed because there is the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) which will help you to resolve any dispute regarding any inaccurate information on your credit report.

Niicss has correctly mentioned that you should inform both the credit reporting agency as well as your lender about this error. Under the FCRA, the agency will reinvestigate and record the present status of the disputed items within a certain period of time. If the agency fails to verify a disputed item, then it may delete such items from your credit report. The agency will correct the errors in the report and send a notice of correction to anyone who has gone through your credit report in the last six months.

Hope this will help you.

Posted on: 30th Oct, 2005 07:53 am

It is very important to check the credit report on a regular basis. Nicss is right, if you have incorrect information in your credit report then report to the bureau immediately. Send them a letter along with the proof and also send a copy to your creditors. The best thing I can suggest you in this regard is to check your credit report every 30 days so that you can change any disputed immediately which will help you in future transaction.
Posted on: 07th May, 2010 07:30 am
Page loaded in 0.075 seconds.