Compare Mortgage Quotes

Refinance Rates for Today

Please enable JavaScript for the best experience.

In the mean time, check out our refinance rates!

Company Loan Type APR Est. Pmt.

Forcing a co-owner to sell property

Posted on: 30th Jan, 2006 10:21 am
Good Afternoon, I am in dire need of advice. My ex fiance and I have a joint mortgage loan on a property that he now resides in alone. I no longer live there and do not know what I need o do to get my name off of the loan. He is paying the loan behind every month which is severely damaging my credit. He refuses to sell the property, and he cannot refinance in his own name because he is damaging his own credit as well. What do I do? Please help me. Thank you
5 years ago my kids dad and i bought a house, he only lived here two of the years. ive made every payment, hes made none. i want to sell it to have closure from the past with him but he wont sign off on the papers because he wants me traped here because he dont want me moveing our kids anywhere. what can i do to make it where i can sell the house?
Posted on: 13th Sep, 2010 06:30 pm
Hi juels!

Welcome to forums!

Your query has been replied to in the given page:

Take a look at it. Hope it helps you.

Posted on: 14th Sep, 2010 02:43 am
I am owner of house & my x-boyfriend is co-owner, I had to move out due to domestic violence, I have police reports, can I put up a for sale sign? Mortgage is delinquent since August, he has collection agencies calling for back bills on other bills he owes, is a gambler and a drug addict.
Posted on: 28th Oct, 2010 10:12 am
Hi Krystal!

Welcome to forums!

If your ex-boyfriend's name is on the property deed, then you cannot sell off the property without his permission. If you do so, then it'll be considered as fraudulent. You can, rather, file a partition lawsuit if you wish to sell off the property. The court will order the sale of the property and the sale proceeds will be divided between both of you once the mortgage is paid off.

Feel free to ask if you've further queries.

Posted on: 29th Oct, 2010 01:42 am
The car loan is under my name, and my ex boyfriend as a cosigner. The vehicle registration is under his name. What legal or civil " name" I should take to release my name with the car loan?
Posted on: 11th Jul, 2011 05:07 pm
Hi bikerlady!

Welcome to forums!

You should ask your ex-boyfriend to refinance the car loan in his name. This will help you in removing your name from the car loan documents.

Feel free to ask if you've further queries.

Posted on: 11th Jul, 2011 11:12 pm
She left me and I am paying all the bills, sink or swim, i want the marital home which right now is loaded with debt, so can she force me out of the marital home or can i claim it as thats what I would like to do ? Whats the law concerning this issue ? Also I've been living here since December 2010 and paying all the bills since January 2011 - August 2011.
Posted on: 21st Aug, 2011 12:35 am
Kudos to you, Dad, for having a Fine Son!

I have to assume you're still married, since you didn't mention any divorce action. Honestly, I don't know if there is any specific law that covers you, but you would certainly be able to make an awfully strong argument in a court of law (divorce court) if you end up there. Between the two lawyers (tradition that each be represented), there ought to be a consensus on what to do with the home; and your having cared for it throughout this timeframe is certainly worthy of consideration.
Posted on: 21st Aug, 2011 03:27 pm
Can my exhusband sell his own home now without my signature. My name is not on the deed or title only I signed when we refinance.
Posted on: 20th Apr, 2012 06:23 pm
Hi Maggie,

If your name is not mentioned on the mortgage docs, then you won't be considered as the owner of the property. Thus, your ex-husband will be able to sell off the property without your permission.

Posted on: 20th Apr, 2012 09:18 pm
Page loaded in 0.061 seconds.