Compare Mortgage Quotes

Refinance Rates for Today

Please enable JavaScript for the best experience.

In the mean time, check out our refinance rates!

Company Loan Type APR Est. Pmt.

Mobile homes: The various sizes and types available for you

Posted on: 18th Apr, 2013 12:03 am
Mobile homes have come a long way and there are many people who own mobile homes now-a-days. However, there is still a curiosity amongst homeowners regarding the different types and sizes of mobile homes available in the market.

Let's take a look into the various types and sizes of mobile homes:

Size of mobile homes:

Normally, mobile homes were 8, 10, or 12 foot wide. But now, such homes are 14, 16, 18 foot wide. Apart from this, multi-section mobile homes are normally 20-42 foot wide. At present, they are also known as manufactured homes.

Types of mobile homes:

  • Single wide or single section homes: Such mobile homes are long and narrow compared to a normal house. These homes are normally 14 feet wide and can be 80 feet long. This is a great option for young couples who have started to settle down in their lives. Such homes are affordable and have all the required amenities.
  • Double wide or double section homes: These mobile homes are similar to that of a ranch style house. Such homes are manufactured separately but are attached when they come to the house site. Such homes should be purchased from the reputable dealers as there are chances of leaks in such a type of set up.
  • Multi wide or multi section homes: When 2 or more than two single units which are manufactured and towed separately to the house or the property site and then joined together to form 1 single living unit, then it is known as multi wide or multi section mobile homes. As far as size is concerned, it normally has a living area of 24 feet by 60 feet. In most of the multi wide mobile homes, you will find as many as five bedrooms and three bathrooms.
Apart from what Sara has mentioned, there can be two more types of mobile homes – modular homes and panelized homes. In order to build a modular home, one has to follow the state building codes. The modular homes should be 90% factory build. After that it is shipped to the property site where the rest of 10% is completed. The building codes may vary from state to state.

Panelized homes are similar to that of modular homes. The difference lies in the fact that they are mainly assembled at the home site. Similar to that of modular homes, they too should meet the state codes.
Posted on: 18th Apr, 2013 03:29 am
It's also worthwhile mentioning HUD requires manufactured homes to be manufactured after June 15, 1976, for FHA-insured mortgages.
Posted on: 18th Apr, 2013 05:28 pm
Absolutely correct, Raymond. Moreover, it should also be mentioned that mobile homes can easily lose their equity. So many a times, reverse mortgage lenders are not ready to offer loans for such homes.
Posted on: 18th Apr, 2013 07:37 pm
Mobile or the manufactured homes are relatively less costly housing options. The age-old idea that manufactured homes depreciate in value with time at a very vast rate is also changing. Mobile homes can also be made in such ways so that these can be nearly at par with the traditional homes. Anyways, manufactured homes are helping meet the housing demand in the country.
Posted on: 19th Apr, 2013 02:05 am
>>reverse mortgage lenders are not ready to offer loans for such homes

They offer them, but they don't like them very much. A couple years ago I could do them all day long, but today there's lots of Investor Overlays, and the interest rates could be higher, and the Loan Officer is compensated less for them.
Posted on: 19th Apr, 2013 09:21 am
Thanks for clarifying, Raymond!! :)
Posted on: 21st Apr, 2013 07:31 pm
Thanks everyone who has contributed in this thread.Have gained some better understanding about mobile homes.
Posted on: 22nd Apr, 2013 02:45 am
It's great to note that the forum was helpful to you!! :)
Posted on: 22nd Apr, 2013 07:30 pm
Page loaded in 0.201 seconds.