Compare Mortgage Quotes

Refinance Rates for Today

Please enable JavaScript for the best experience.

In the mean time, check out our refinance rates!

Company Loan Type APR Est. Pmt.

credit card

Posted on: 16th Feb, 2010 07:50 am
I had a stroke back in 2003 and have had many health problems since. I have not worked much since and am now on disabilty, During that time my wife and I paid what we colud but got behind on some credit cards. One in my wife's name just sent a judgement papers to us. We have not paid on this since 2003 and still are unable to pay. We are in NC and need to know what to do.
there doesn't seem to be much that you can do. the creditor will have the option, however, to seek repayment of this debt by seizing the funds you have in your bank account. if they know where you are banking, then your funds could be in jeopardy. if they don't know, it might be that they'll send a marshal after the funds by checking with a variety of banks in the area. if they locate funds, they'll be gone - unless you can figure out a way to repay on the judgment. it doesn't sound fair, of course, but it's pretty much what happens.

and it's true that disability funds are generally exempt from attachment, but if they go to the bank and grab your savings, they don't know the source of those funds anyway.

if there's any possibility that you can make a settlement with them, or somehow acquire the funds to pay the judgment, then that's the way to go. i understand, however, your position. not being able to make payments is an awful feeling, and there's seldom an easy solution.
Posted on: 16th Feb, 2010 08:48 am
Page loaded in 0.058 seconds.