Compare Mortgage Quotes

Refinance Rates for Today

Please enable JavaScript for the best experience.

In the mean time, check out our refinance rates!

Company Loan Type APR Est. Pmt.

Can I return my HOUSE IN LEIU of Foreclosure

Posted on: 01st Aug, 2009 12:49 am
I want just to return my house to Wells Fargo Bank the Mortgage company. They refuse to take it back and they ask financial informatin and they tell me I should try to sell it, But in Costa mesa the price of $370000 has dropped to $120000 dollars, how can i return my house it is called" House in Leiu";
Isn't mortgage spposed to be Secured by the House ? and how can I return the Keys to the Bank!
Hi nexuslight,

A mortgage is always secured by a property. You cannot simply return the keys of your property to the lender. You'll have to apply for a deed in lieu with your lender. If the lender accepts your offer, then only you would be able to transfer the property to your lender. The lender would then sell off the property and try to recover the dues. As far as the balance amount is concerned, the lender would forgive that amount. However, a deed in lieu of foreclosure would reduce your credit score by around 250 points.

Take care.
Posted on: 01st Aug, 2009 03:12 am
I don't understand ,if I lose 250 on my credit score because of deed in lieu, how much I lose for foreclusure? and what do you suggest not pay the Bank for 12 months and let it go foreclosure of a run down house? after so much cost for bank to foreclose or jus giving te back the Security, my house, with no fight! if I go bankrupt I lose less points and get it over with!
Why Banks would not like to accept their security without any fight now?
Posted on: 01st Aug, 2009 11:19 am
Hi al,

You'll lose around 200-250 points if you foreclose your property. As far as bankruptcy is concerned, it will remain in your credit report for 8-10 years though you would lose around 200 points from your credit report. Moreover, lenders will not be ready to give you a loan easily if you've a bankruptcy on your credit report. Banks would first check if you have the ability to pay off the mortgage dues or not. If not, then only, they would accept a deed in lieu.
Posted on: 02nd Aug, 2009 10:43 pm
house is underwater credit score 710 2 months behind on payment can not refin and hsbc will not do loan modifaction the house is more space then we need the kids r gone now and just can not afford the $3011 payment
Posted on: 24th Aug, 2010 05:26 pm
Hi randy,

You can contact your lender and try to sell it off through a deed in lieu of foreclosure. This will not only help you in getting rid of the property, you won't be liable for paying the deficient balance resulting from the sale of the property. However, this will lower your credit score by 250 points and you won't be able to get a mortgage within the next 3-4 years.

Posted on: 24th Aug, 2010 11:06 pm
we cannot no longer afford the payments on our mobile home that is located in a trailer park. we have to return the home to the mortgage company. we do not live in it any longer. how do i go about this?
Posted on: 11th Oct, 2010 01:55 pm
hi jeanie!

welcome to forums!

you can contact the lender and inform him about your financial situation and surrender the property to him by signing a quit claim deed. the lender may short sale the property in order to recover the dues. if there is a balance amount resulting from the property sale, then you will have to pay it back.

feel free to ask if you've further queries.

Posted on: 11th Oct, 2010 10:29 pm
if you can not pay the mortgage and you do the quit claim deed, how can they exspect you to be able to pay the balance of a short sell
Posted on: 19th Oct, 2010 06:29 pm
Hi julia,

Quitclaim deed does not release a person from the liability of paying off the mortgage dues. It only removes a person from property deed. Thus, whether or not you can pay the dues, the lender has the rights to come after you for the payments.

Posted on: 19th Oct, 2010 10:08 pm

I have been divorced for 3 years now, had tenants in our home as I could not afford to pay the mortgage on my own. My ex signed a quitclaim deed in the divorce. I am no longer able to keep it rented so have been trying to sell it, and I am not able to make the payments, we are going to try to do a short sale now, but there is 1st and 2nd mortgage. With a short sale am I understanding that I will be required to pay the difference? Is my ex going to be responsible for anything? Am I better off to just do a foreclosure? Please help with suggestions, I am several months behind now on the mortgage and my credit is terrible now. Thank you
Posted on: 28th Apr, 2012 01:15 pm
Hi terrell,

Yes, you will be liable for paying off the deficient balance resulting from the sale of the property to the lender as you're going for a short sale. If your ex's name is on the mortgage docs, then that person will also be liable for paying off the deficient balance. Short sale is a better option compared to foreclosure. So, I think you should go for a short sale.
Posted on: 30th Apr, 2012 02:03 am
I have been granted a discharge through Chapter 7. Wells Fargo is sending me all sorts of letters with various offers. I have vacated the property. Should I surrender the home or just wait for the foreclosure process? If surrender is the answer, what can I expect for that process? If not, should I notify my insurance agent that I have vacated the home?
Posted on: 18th Aug, 2012 06:41 pm
Hi Maureen,

Your query has been replied to in the given page:

Take a look at it. I hope it will help you.

Posted on: 20th Aug, 2012 02:10 am
Page loaded in 0.183 seconds.