Compare Mortgage Quotes

Refinance Rates for Today

Please enable JavaScript for the best experience.

In the mean time, check out our refinance rates!

Company Loan Type APR Est. Pmt.

Divorce and Quit Claim

Posted on: 17th Apr, 2012 06:25 am
i'm divorced and my ex husband is off the mortagage and i have paid him off on his half of the house 3 years ago. i just paid off my helock loan and now they tell me my husband needs to sign the quit claim deed. i'm worried that he wont sign it because he is ruthless and always looking at ways to get more $$ out of me. what is the worse case scenarios that he can do if his name is still on the deed?
Hi Jodi,

If your ex-husband's name is mentioned on the property deed, then he will remain one of the owners of the property. Thus, whenever you sell off the property, he can claim his share from the sale price of the property.

Posted on: 17th Apr, 2012 07:44 pm
Welcome Jodi,

It would have been better if you could have asked him to transfer the property to you when you bought his share of property from him. You can contact a real estate attorney and he will help you in dealing with your ex-husband.
Posted on: 18th Apr, 2012 08:00 pm
Page loaded in 0.070 seconds.