Compare Mortgage Quotes

Refinance Rates for Today

Please enable JavaScript for the best experience.

In the mean time, check out our refinance rates!

Company Loan Type APR Est. Pmt.

How do I replace lost deed?

mom needs to have deed to sell property, it is lost.

tawanastegall's picture
tawanastegall | Joined: March 26, 2009 07:58 am | Posts: 0 | Location: New Jersey | 00 Dollars($)

The deed should have been recorded. So it will be found in the official public records in your county clerks office in the county that the property is located. She don't have to have the orginal document if it is filed of record. The title company she uses will pick up the document when they are researching the property owner when she sales the property. Unless she is not going through a title company.

On the other hand, if the deed was never filed. Then she has a problem. Especially if the person that sold her the property is deceased and has heirs. It could be a BIG mess!

Like | Dislike | Share | Posted: Thu, 03/26/2009 - 21:16 | Post subject:

savior70's picture
savior70 | Joined: March 25, 2009 05:14 am | Posts: 0 | Location: New Jersey | 00 Dollars($)


If the grantor is still alive, you should get a new deed signed by him/her. That would be the best thing to do. If the grantor is deceased and you had recorded the deed, you have no issues. However, if the deed wasn't recorded, then there are certainly some serious issues.

Like | Dislike | Share | Posted: Sat, 03/28/2009 - 06:54 | Post subject:

Page loaded in 0.069 seconds.