Compare Mortgage Quotes

Refinance Rates for Today

Please enable JavaScript for the best experience.

In the mean time, check out our refinance rates!

Company Loan Type APR Est. Pmt.

deceased parents

Both my parents are deceased. Before my mother passed she bought a home with a 30 year mortgage in her name solely. There is still 28 years left on the mortgage. Both parents left no deed and the courts awarded my grandmother conservatory over my parents estate. My parents left 9 children and all of us have equal shares of the property. Can we do a quitclaim deed to sign the house over to one sister who is currently living in the house and taking care of the younger siblings?[/i]

Niicss's picture
Niicss | Joined: October 3, 2005 11:54 pm | Posts: 0 | Location: New Jersey | 00 Dollars($)

Welcome coolchild.

I have to agree with jheard that you need to transfer the property on your name first. When all the siblings get their names on the deed they can quitclaim to their elder sister who is taking care of the other and living in the house. By the way to transfer the name on your name you should seek help from an attorney.

Good luck.

Like | Dislike | Share | Posted: Sun, 06/15/2008 - 23:39 | Post subject:

jheard's picture
jheard | Joined: December 12, 2007 08:20 am | Posts: 0 | Location: New Jersey | 00 Dollars($)

Yes. First, the court must make an order transferring the property to the heirs. Once that happens, you can do what you wish with your share of the property, including quitclaiming to another heir.

Like | Dislike | Share | Posted: Fri, 06/06/2008 - 13:33 | Post subject:

Page loaded in 0.174 seconds.