Compare Mortgage Quotes

Refinance Rates for Today

Please enable JavaScript for the best experience.

In the mean time, check out our refinance rates!

Company Loan Type APR Est. Pmt.

Capital Gains Tax

Posted on: 10th Sep, 2008 03:29 pm
I came to the US in 1997 from South Africa (SA) on a work visa L1 and became as US citizen 2 weeks ago.
I own my home in Florida since 2001 and I still own my home in SA which I bought in 1983.
Now that I am finally a US citizen I want to sell my home in SA and would like to ask you if I will also be liable to the IRS for CGT on the sale of my home in SA ?
If so how do they figure it out as I am liable for the CG in SA from 2001 only?
If my job transfered me to the US and I kept my home in SA as I could not be sure that I would ever become a US ctizen how can the IRS claim any CGT from me?
Thank you for taking your valuable time to assist me.
Welcome Donald.

If you sell off property in South Africa, you need to pay capital gains tax in that country only. The IRS in the US should not claim it from you.

Posted on: 11th Sep, 2008 02:07 am
WOW !!!! thats GREAT news.
I guess it is time to fire up the grill and get the beers. out.
Thank you very much.
Posted on: 11th Sep, 2008 11:42 am
Hi Don,
I believe helping_user is correct but please consult a tax consultant before making your decision.
Posted on: 13th Sep, 2008 03:20 am
Page loaded in 0.201 seconds.