Compare Mortgage Quotes

Refinance Rates for Today

Please enable JavaScript for the best experience.

In the mean time, check out our refinance rates!

Company Loan Type APR Est. Pmt.

Converting from Chapter 7 to Chapter 13

Posted on: 02nd Jul, 2006 11:49 pm
I had filed for chapter 7, its been quite some time now and waiting for the final discharge. The case is pending in court. A friend suggested converting to chapter 13. is it possible?
hi abel,

a pending chapter 7 bankruptcy can be converted to chapter 13 if there is any abuse of the procedures for the previous type. the debtor may not be able to satisfy the means test wherein his current monthly income (cmi) is expected to go beyond $100 on a monthly basis throughout a time period of 5 years.

Posted on: 03rd Jul, 2006 12:26 am
What if I can't complete chapter 13 payments. It's not that I cannot, just trying to get more info before I set out for the conversion?
Posted on: 03rd Jul, 2006 12:27 am

You will have the probable options if you fail to make the chapter 13 payments.
  • Dismiss the chapter 13 case.

  • If you are not able to pay on account of circumstances for which you are not responsible, the court may allow you to close the case and obtain a partial discharge.
In general, debtors can convert to a chapter 7 bankruptcy if they fail to make up for Chapter 13 payments. Since you have initially filed chapter 7, so in your case, only the above options can tried out.

Know more about Chapter 13 from an article at

Posted on: 03rd Jul, 2006 12:41 am
As I understand it, I need to have a job to file Ch 13 but I have been trying to get a job for 5 months with no luck. What happens if I have no job?
Posted on: 07th Oct, 2009 07:15 pm need to make payments under the Chapter 13 plan. So, if you do not have a job it would be difficult for you. However, if you have social security income or disability income, then you may not face issues in paying the dues. I would suggest you to have a word with a bankruptcy attorney and take his opinion.
Posted on: 08th Oct, 2009 02:23 am
Why is your friend telling you to do a 13 instead of 7? Chapter 7 is much faster and liquidates all unsecured debts. You can have good solid reestablished credit in a couple years with a chapter 7, whereas you'd still be in bankruptcy with the chapter 13.
Posted on: 18th Oct, 2009 10:47 am
Posted on: 09th Jun, 2010 01:59 pm

I've given my suggestions in regards to your query at:

Take a look at it. Hope it'll help you.
Posted on: 09th Jun, 2010 10:36 pm
The monthy payment for this is $2,108.00 per month. My husband is retired and we live on a limited income. My question is this: should I file a Chapter 7? I have a first mortage and a home equity line of $160,000.00 We can pay make the monthy payments on that, but I haven't worked going on four years after my job was outsource after 15 years of employment. My house is estimated at $315,000. We have a total mortage of 224,000. IN the the state of NJ can I still keep my home and file a Chapter 7?
Posted on: 14th Jun, 2010 11:38 am
Hi Marie,

You will be able to save your property though you file chapter 7. If you include the mortgage in your bankruptcy filing, then you should reaffirm your mortgage and pay off the dues on time and save the property.


Posted on: 15th Jun, 2010 03:41 am
I have a peice of land that was an investment property that will not sell and i want to cut my losses and stop payin on it What is my best option, foreclosure or bankruptcy?
Posted on: 15th Oct, 2010 12:04 pm
If i took a small cash advance 2 months ago of 300 dollars and last used card 3 weeks ago for gas and want to file chapter 7 the 90 days wait, does it start when i retain a bankruptcy attorney or when i actually file the petition.
Posted on: 25th Oct, 2010 11:42 pm
I live in arkansas and I am in a chapter 13 is there a way that I can change to a chapter and still save my house or will i lose my house
Posted on: 11th Jan, 2011 06:04 pm
hi labs,

if there is a mortgage on the property and if you're unable to pay off the dues, then you can apply for a deed in lieu of foreclosure in order to get rid of the property.

to roy,

you should contact a bankruptcy attorney and he will be able to help you in a better manner in regards to this query.

welcome shunteagirl,

you can change your chapter 13 bankruptcy filing to chapter 7 and still save your property. you should contact your bankruptcy attorney and he will guide you in this matter.
Posted on: 11th Jan, 2011 11:19 pm
We are unable to pay credit card debt of aprox 30,000. This debt piled up on us because my husband is a contractor and over the past 3 years work got slower and slower and then nothing. We owe 50,000 on our home with know equity. The home is homesteaded. If we file chapter 7 will we beable to keep our house. And will they sell our furniture etc?
Posted on: 05th Feb, 2013 09:03 pm
Page loaded in 0.080 seconds.